About Sleek Furniture Training
The Furniture Craft course is primarily based in the workshop and delivered using a range of activities including demonstrations, workshop practice, lectures, projects, open discussions, observation of techniques, individual and team work, visits, tutorials presentations from visiting professionals, research, and sharing of experience from tutors and students.
During the early stages of the course students will be taught basic furniture making skills for the first 3 months and then undergo an internship period of a minimum of 1 month. After building experience through initial set projects, they will be encouraged to design and make their own pieces in the intermediate and advanced courses.
A project calendar and module handbook enables students to map subjects and activities covered. In outline, core subjects are attached for your reference
The structure and syllabus of the course is based not only on the wide experience of the staff but is augmented by their extensive contacts within the world of furniture making. Outside visits and visiting lecturers provide additional input.
1. Workshop Safety
2. Description, Uses and Maintenance of Basic Tools
3. Understanding Units of measurements
4. Overview of Furniture Materials
5. Technical Terms in woodwork
6. Identification of Timber, Growth and Structure
7. Properties of Timber
8. Seasoning, Shrinkage and Defects of Timber
9. Conversion and market sizes of Timber
10. Classification of Joints
11. Introduction to Drawing and Drafting for furniture makers.
12. Introduction Furniture Design-Production Process
13. Introduction to Upholstery Works.
15. Professional Conduct
16. Written Examination